It’s easy to get free, independent advice so that you “Know your rights” as an energy consumer. You might want to get a better deal, find out how to make a complaint, get advice about the quality of your electricity or gas supply, or ask for help if you’re struggling to pay your bills.

To “Know your rights” visit www.citizensadvice.org.uk/energy for up to date information or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 1133.

The document produced by the Citizens Advice service provides more information about where energy consumers can get independent information and advice about their energy supply and ways to reduce their energy bills. You can download the document below: